Matching pedaling position road vs MTB

Hi all,

I’m curious how people who ride both MTB and road set up their bikes. I have an Evil Offering v4 with a seat angle of 79 degrees (which I love, especially for steep/technical climbing), and I’m setting up a (new-to-me) road bike with a 73 degree STA and currently a 20mm setback post on it. So obviously the pedaling position is…rather different.

I probably ride the Evil 70% of the time, and the other 30% split equally between the road bike and an Epic Evo. So then I’m wondering if I should match the seated position on the road bike closer to the Evil (zero-setback post, saddle slammed forward), or stick closer to the “accepted wisdom”? The standard road position might be more efficient in principle, but if I train more in the hip-forward position I could see an argument to roughly match the bikes?

No wrong answer here, but just curious what others have done. Thanks!

I ride XC/Downcountry, gravel, and road. I’ve found that trying to “match” my position from the MTB to drop bar bikes results in a completely different feel even on the legs. I know some people have had success matching them, but I just treat them as different fits and start from square one on each.

You mention having an Epic. If you were going to copy one of your MTB fits wouldn’t that be a better one to copy? Sorry if I’m not understanding your comment.

The Epic would be closer and easier to match for sure, but the Evil is the one I ride the most. The question is just directional anyway (do I get rid of setback or not?). I’m never fully going to replicate the position (and shouldn’t, because obviously I still ride the MTB on much steeper terrain, at lower speeds, with lower cadence, etc).