Bikepacking/Touring ToolKit

In my relentless pursuit to be both prepared and reasonable light and compact, let’s review the repair kit I will be bringing on my next cycling tour. We’ll be on loaded gravel/touring bikes on mostly paved trails. No one is running tubeless. There are both Shimano and Sram drivetrains, 9-12 speed drivetrains, rim brakes, and disc brakes. We won’t be in the middle of nowhere so if we need a new tire or shifter cable I think with some extra miles we could manage to get replacements. I will pack the following into a storage bottle in the 3rd bottle cage under my downtube:

Daysaver Essential-8 with tire lever

Additional tire levers

Wolf Tooth chain plier with disc rotor truing wrench, valve core tool, and chain pin tool

Mini Leatherman tool with small needle nose pliers, knife, tweezer

5mm to 1/4" driver adapter for Essential 8 with the following extra bits - 1mm, 1.5mm, Torx 10, 15, 20, 30, small and large phillips, flathead, 10mm hex, 12mm hex, 14mm hex, extra long 3/4/5/6mm hex bits

Shimano hollow-tech preload bolt driver tool (3d-printed)

S&S lockring wrench with pedal wrench, titanium (very light)

fiberspoke dyneema emergency spoke and spoke wrench

Phil Stein emergency cassette lockring tool

Extra quick links for chains 9-12 speed, shimano & sram

Neutron emergency brake bleed kit

patches for butyl and TPU tubes

Portable Di2 charge adapter (USB-C to Shimano)

Extra mini SRAM battery

SRAM battery charger

Heavy duty thread and curved needle for emergency sidewall repair and fixing torn gear or bags

tape: gorilla, electrical, helicopter

chain lube, small container phil wood grease, small container loctite

Tire boots

Extra frame mounting bolts (bottle cage bolts, rack bolts, etc…)

Adam’s HAT (emergency hanger alignment tool)

Zip ties

Carried in handlebar bag: pump (electric), spare tubes

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

1 Like

I also travel with the USB-C to Di2 dongle, but would rely on it only in emergencies. I believe @BetterShifting_Terry has broken a derailleur with it.

I have a series of dongles on a keychain for traveling, then I can just bring one USBC cable (Shokz, Garmin, Micro USB, Di2).

Nowadays they’re fine, I think! :slight_smile:

The main problem is that the RD charging terminal is held in place by friction.. so if you have an adapter that also attaches to the RD by friction then it can rip the charge port off. The one I used to do that is no longer being sold, or was revised after the incident.
The guy did offer to send me a new adapter (hah!). Di2 GP fixed the RD for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like