Bike travel insurance

Does anyone have good recs for bike insurance when travelling? I am heading cross country to a gravel event and just want to cover against airline damage and/or theft while I’m there.

Where are you based?

Ha! Yes that would be relevant.

In the US (California)

I looked into this a few years ago and didn’t find many good options and basically no options without a hard case. I gave up at that point because I was headed to Europe and had zero desire to try to navigate Europe with a hard case.

I hope the options have improved but be aware whether or not you are using a hard case will influence your ability to actually successfully make a claim.

In Australia I recently purchased a month of insurance from Sunday’s Insurance to cover a trip.

The policy included airline travel. No restrictions on the type of case/bag.

I think they’re international so maybe worth a quick check.

2 Likes

Cool will check them out.

Apparently velosurance (in the US) covers soft cases but the premium they quoted me is 7% of the bike cost which feels steep, though it’s for a full year.

I just want single trip insurance.

US-based and have used Sundays insurance for several European trips in the last few years. Easy online setup and, although you setup coverage for a year, I cancel after a month (to specifically cover the trip) with no issues.

Very pleased with them, but can’t speak for what the situation may be if you had to make a claim.

1 Like

I had to make a claim with Sundays after my chain went into the spokes.

I’d say they were thorough but fair. They added in the cost of a chain to my claim, and also paid for 2 hours of labour to fit a tubeless tyre to my replacement wheel. I was able to do that for myself so it pretty much wipes out the excess on the policy. (£100 excess, £80 for the labour)

1 Like